Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Wine 102 - Summer Whites

Most people enjoy white wine when the weather turns warm.  Cold white wine is refreshing.  Whites can be enjoyed alone or with a variety of lighter foods.  It should be served cold to cool.  Most wine experts say that white wine should not be served ice-cold.  I think that depends on you and your tastes.  Wine For Dummies, my favorite reference, says that you can drink it ice-cold, but if you let it warm up a bit you may surprised at how flavorful it is.  This is true, as for me I live in South FL and keeping wine at the proper drinking temperature is a challenge.  When I am visiting my college roommate in San Francisco keeping wine at optimal temperature is not a problem.

I have tried many different products to aid in the thermal regulation of wine and drinking it outdoors.  My favorite spot to drink wine is in my pool.  A nice cold white in the pool will chill you inside and out.  OK back to the topic.

There are four basic popular whites that are plentiful and can be enjoyed at reasonable prices.

Chardonnay -       There are great inexpensive ones from CA, and Australia
Sauvignon Blanc -There are great inexpensive ones from CA,  South Africa and New Zealand  
Pinot Grigio/Gris -There are great inexpensive ones from CA, Italy, Oregon, New Zealand
                            and Australia
Riesling -              There are great inexpensive ones from Germany, New York, CA,
                            WA, and Australia
Blends -                Yes there are good white blends and don’t be afraid to try them.

Now a bit on white blends.  I joined a wine club on my last visit to CA because of a white blend.  It was in July and we were touring wineries in the Russian River area of Sonoma County and it was hot.  We hit a few but this one in the Dry Creek AVA.  Wilson Winery, they specialize in bold Zinfandels.  When we went in they were pouring a white blend called Summer Time White, it was ice-cold and delicious, even my husband a beer guy was impressed.  I joined the club on the spot and had a case sent home.  I still have some and I will enjoy them on my 62nd birthday.

The Wine Bug’s rules for serving summer white wine.

 1.   Put bottles in fridge the night before
 2.   Get cooler and put in wine and beer cover with ice and put on patio
 3.   Put on bathing suit put music on
 4.   Get insulated wine glass
 5.   Pour wine in glass and get in pool

Do any of you have a ritual that you use?  Please feel free to leave your comments.



The Wine Bug

You can find The Wine Bug at http://www.WineBugAccessories.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Wine Day - May 25th How will you participate?

It is National Wine day, so grab your friends and favorite wine and "Pop" it open, relax and enjoy.  It is also Red Nose Day, so p...